[Dixielandjazz] Applause

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Mar 28 08:27:41 PST 2005

The most annoying form of "applause" is the conjoint, continuous handclaps
of an audience that thinks it is in time with the tune being played. This
becomes a rippling noise because of the difference in the audience's
individual timing, adding a confusing "people's instrument" to the rhythm
section. David Baker, the respected jazz educator and band leader, even
requests it! "At some time during the night's performance, Baker will urge
the audience to snap fingers and clap hands. 'When people just sit there and
don't respond, I say , "No, no! Don't listen to us as though we were an
artifact. Listen to us and react'". ("Smithsonian", September, 1996). No, no
thanks! Cheers.
Fred