[Dixielandjazz] Solos and applause

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 18:34:19 PST 2005

Picky picky picky ...

Classical music isn't jazz . . . the conventions are different.
Theoretically, one applauds at the conclusion of the symphony or concerto
and not at the end of each movement or section. Only the unwashed do that
but it's totally understandable . . . after all, the closing cadenza of the
movement has been played and the music stops. Seems reasonable to applaud at
that point. Matter of fact, I often feel rather stupid when, after a
particularly great movement, I am just supposed to sit there mute and
restrain my enthusiasm until the end of the last section. Of course, I
silently pat myself on the back and am pleased with my superior tastes that
I'm not one of those ignorant peasants who will applaud at anything. Is that
dumb or what!!!

Shaw was a rigid perfectionist and jazz is loose and really invites audience
involvement. One doesn't need an "authority" to tell one how to respond to
music . . . one just does!!!!!  Sheesh!!!

Furthermore - If you wanna see total audience participation, go to a local
rock concert and watch how everyone sits quietly until the last drum blast
and then listen as they applaud appreciatively and with dignity and
restraint. Yeah, right.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Wow! Love that Scherzo!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com