[Dixielandjazz] South by Southwest Showcase - Austin Texas.

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 21 12:34:32 PST 2005

Steve and others--
     Yes, i think SXSW really ought to be able to showcase a number of
OKOM bands, but (shhh) we can't tell them it's "dixieland" or
"traditional jazz" or the like.
     For instance, here in town there are musical groups called the
White Ghost Shivers, Aunt Ruby's Jazz Babies, and the Giant City
Sextet that play popular music and jazz of the 1920's and 1930's,
kind of like the Asylum Street Spankers (who started out playing,
among other places, between our sets with the Wurst Band down at
Scholz's Bier Garten).
     However, since groups like this tend to have names that don't
tell you what kind of music they play, someone else has to write an
article about them, or at least describe their style a little.
Hence, it's almost impossible to tell which of the 1,300+ bands at
SXSW might have been playing OKOM or something close to it.
     As you've been preaching for years, Steve, playing jazz where the
kids are is what such groups (plus our bands) need to be doing, and
in fact some of them ARE doing it. The trick lies in being able to
let people who love this kind of jazz know about them and where and
when they're playing.
     As the old saying goes, if the world is ever going to be saved,
it's going to be saved by someone too young to know that it can't be
done.  Similarly, OKOM may be saved by young folks who have heard it
and liked it and liked to dance to it, and started bands to play it,
not knowing anything about us and our attempts to get new and
expanded audiences for it.  One hopes our two groups might eventually
have some contact with each other, even if it does resemble somebody
waving from an avalanche to someone else climbing the mountain.
     Conversely, i may be wrong (and i frequently am), but i think a
lot of the folks in their 30's, 40's, and older would like some of
the music created by these young bands, and jazz societies ought to
program them also.  We did so here with the ATJS by bringing in the
Giant City Sextet (who play kind of 1930's Condon-style jazz), and
they were a big hit with the crowd, so much so that we're going to
try to make them one of the regular bands we program.
     As some songwriter said (Dylan?), anything that's not busy
growing is busy dying, so those of us for whom the race is almost
over need to provide continuous new infusions and transfusions of
good younger bands and viewpoints.
     So who knows? Don't throw those ukuleles away yet....

     Dan