[Dixielandjazz] RE: Slide trombones

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 21 12:56:31 PST 2005

     Many thanks to Professor Edgerton's disquistion on the nature of
cones and parabolas.  A fine job.  But it reminds me (as does just
about everything) of Ambrose Bierce, who referred to cones in his
definition of 'publish': "In literary affairs, to become the
fundamental element in a cone of critics."  I hope Mr. Edgerton and i
escape this fate in these publications.

     Dan

P. S. Tubas are primarily conical (except in the valve-section
tubing), so we tuba-players can move in on the skirt immediately
without fear of success (except on St. Patrick's Day, when such
skirts might conceal a disagreeable surprise).