[Dixielandjazz] Dancers, talkers, and llisteners

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Mon Mar 21 10:27:00 PST 2005

The west coast festivals I attend with multiple venues can
accommodate the roughly equal mixture of dancers, talkers,
and listeners.  Being a listener, I gravitate toward the venues
that favor listeners.  No problem, we need all the paying
customers we can get.
Yesterday I made an infrequent visit to one of the Sunday
afternoon jazz clubs.  A prominent band was featured and
they played well, I think, from what little I could hear through
the very loud and constant chatter.
Hard for me not to conclude that Sunday jazz clubs are
providing an opportunity for socializing (maybe a good thing),
but doing very little to promote the music.
But maybe (I can hope) this experience is not typical.
Otherwise, why would excellent musicians with established
bands waste their time at these Sunday sessions for very little
monetary reward?

Ken Gates