[Dixielandjazz] Bobby Short Obit

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Mon Mar 21 09:27:26 PST 2005

I met Short in the early 1970s.  He played a major part in a program for
WGBH channel 2, Boston, that the New Black Eagles were featured on, called
"Roaring Through the 20s".  Claude Hopkins also performed.   Short played
the owner/host of the speakeasy and the Eagles were the house band.
Friends and fans were the "patrons" of the posh blind pig.   It was a great
night of music and entertainment, including some fancy dancing (the female
dancer, who was from my home town, has passed away also as has Hopkins) and
clips from a couple of movies, a silent and Jolson's "Jazz Singer".  GBH had
a caterer who supplied us with wine and cheese during the taping.   Short
performed his MC duties, played piano and sang.  The Eagles accompanied and
played for dancers.   I have a taped-from TV-copy somewhere, done when the
show was rebroadcast later during a pledge drive. I'll have to dig it out.

Ron L