[Dixielandjazz] Slide trumpets v. slide trombones

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Fri Mar 18 00:56:06 PST 2005

Hello Bob

I do, indeed, characterise the slide trombone as a slide trumpet. The two instruments are similar, just an octave apart. Both have parabolic boring as opposed to the conical boring of most other brass instruments (cornets, euphoniums, tubas, etc.). The reason we trombonists don't think of our beloved instrument as a member of the slide trumpet family is, of course, that the slide trumpet is rarely used. I wonder if this is because the slide positions are so close together.

The conical boring is the reason we don't have slide cornets nor slide euphoniums.