[Dixielandjazz] Slide trumpets v. slide trombones

d. sleeman d.sleeman at hccnet.nl
Sat Mar 19 00:54:45 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Smith" <robert.smith at mitransport.no>
To: "Dixieland Jazz" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 9:56 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Slide trumpets v. slide trombones

Hello Bob, you wrote:

I do, indeed, characterise the slide trombone as a slide trumpet.

I like to think of the so called slide trumpet as a soprano trombone.

The two instruments are similar, just an octave apart. Both have parabolic boring as opposed to the conical boring of most other brass instruments (cornets, euphoniums, tubas, etc.). The reason we trombonists don't think of our beloved instrument as a member of the slide trumpet family is, of course, that the slide trumpet is rarely used. I wonder if this is because the slide positions are so close together.

May it's because I'm a trombonist I like to think of my favourite instrument as a member of the trombone family: soprano, alto, tenor and bass. In the olden days, as early as the sixteenth century, these trombones were played in unison with the (male) human voices in church choirs, hence the names. Nowadays the soprano is not used anymore, mainly because it's very difficult to play in tune. The three others are still widely used.

BTW, the bore (you call that boring :-)) of my instruments is cylindrical!

For what it's worth, my 2 Eurocents...

Dick Sleeman, Lelystad, Holland.

<d.sleeman at hccnet.nl>