[Dixielandjazz] PC gone mad

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Mar 16 10:47:11 PST 2005

I'm all for acknowledging that language distortions, in the form of
extreme PC, doublespeak, political spin, etc., are damaging and should
be exposed.

My plea is for making distinctions on a case-by-case basis rather than
dismissing a given example, like "Darktown" or "idiot" or "s/he" as all
of the same cloth under the blunt label of PC. We might come to
different conclusions about particular instances, as we have about
Darktown, but the dialogue is better than a general tirade against
language changes that might, just might, attack our comfortable biases.

As another example, I'm appalled at the suggestion that "idiot" is a
legitimate, scientifically and socially useful description of retarded
human beings. The successive softening of the language on this might
well have become excessive and precious, but it's in the right
direction of not stripping people of their dignity. Those who disagree
on this one can state their case, and that's a plus-one for
clarification.

So it goes. It takes time and effort to sort out what's useful and
what's b.s. in language change, but the problem isn't solved by
broadside labels like PC on one hand and, say, "sensitivity" on the
other.

Charlie Suhor