[Dixielandjazz] Unforgiveable Blackness

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Mar 16 09:42:48 PST 2005

This kind of license is pretty familiar--anything that sounds "old
timey" is used, and anachronisms abound. Of course we don't really know
how jazz/pre-jazz sounded in 1910, but Burns and Wynton know very well
that ragtime would have been more suitable than "music of the early
jazz age" (I assume, the 20's?--I haven't seen the program). The movie
"The Sting" was set around the 30s as I recall but the music was very
tardy ragtime, in this case. It's kind of like learning about history
from "Hagar the Horrible" or "B.C." in the comics.

Charlie Suhor