[Dixielandjazz] Blue note

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Tue Mar 15 20:56:07 PST 2005

Listmates----
A trip to the library--found "The Making of Jazz" by James Lincoln
Collier.  The author makes the point that the blue note of early blues
playing was NOT a flatted third or flatted seventh of the tempered scale
that we use.  In the key of C for example, the blue third is somewhere
between Eb and E.
Here's my question.  Do any of you horn players consciously try for
the "true" blue note when playing a blues?
Question two----wondering how many have good enough ears to hear
the difference if you did?  I would guess that I wouldn't.
Ken Gates