[Dixielandjazz] Oriental Vs. Asian

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 21:03:00 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/15/05 8:43:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Do they know about this "Asian" thing?
>
> Cheers,
> Mr. Moto

It's a uniquely Third or fourth generation American Asian thing Me thinks,
something they learned in college from our esteemed PC professors.

I have hosted well over three hundred Asian college students from Taiwan,
Korea, Japan, and China and never once have any of them used the A word.  They
have always been distinctly referred to as one of the above by each other and
proud of it.

I can recall many conversations after they left and returned to their
respective countries about them still being great friends with the Korean Girl and
the Taiwanese girl or boy they met and lived with in my home.  Many of them get
together for years and go on vacations together to interesting places as well
as travel back and forth to each others countries for weekend trips etc.

I have also visited my former students in Turkey and found that in Istanbul
they have a European side and an Asian side.  Most of the work and major
business is conducted on the Asian side and much of the newer and more modern
residential properties are located on the European side.  Not too much unlike New
York/New Jersey situation.

Istanbul has about 14 million population currently.  The only Asians I saw
there were Japanese tourist, and an occasional Chinese restaurant.

Cheers,

Tom " HOP SING" Wiggins