[Dixielandjazz] Oriental Vs. Asian

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 20:46:32 PST 2005

Will all this discussion about what is Oriental, should we say Asian, Far
East or Near East, no wonder Northwest Airlines dropped the "Orient" from
its name a few years ago. Especially now since, "Asian" is PC and" Oriental"
is out. (according to us pink men and women in the USA)

Perhaps those Agatha Christie Stories, referencing The Orient Express will
now be changed to reference the As Express? ;-) VBG.

Damn, what will I do now, I've been checking into a flight on Thai Orient
Airlines, booking stays in Orient Express Hotels and those run by The
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, thinking about buying Mardi Gras beads from
The Oriental Trading Company, visiting the Oriental Institute and Museum in
Chicago, ogling pictures of "Oriental" women on the web, buying an Oriental
Rug, joining the American Oriental Society, (Founded 1842), playing a gig
for The American Association of Oriental Medicine, also joining the Oriental
Bird Club, having my clarinet thumb treated by a member of the National
Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and
registering my cat with Cat Fanciers' Association, Oriental Breed Section,
etc., etc. etc. (many too many oriental people and companies and countries)
Do you suppose, as Red Foxx used to say; "They're out f****** us?"

Do they know about this "Asian" thing?

Cheers,
Mr. Moto