[Dixielandjazz] Re: Darktown Strutters Ball

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Mar 15 12:20:09 PST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 1:23 PM, LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing
wrote:

> Some people are quick to take offense at anything.

Again, taking general offense "at anything" would be irrational and
doesn't address real, day-to-day problems. The question, to reiterate,
is "which claims of offensiveness have moral force, and which are
capricious?" I happen  to think, for reasons cited, that the "Darktown"
complaint is legit. For good  (and hopefully, particular) reasons,
others can honestly disagree. I don't find it convincing, though, to
say that the song wasn't offensive at the time written, or that Ella
and Fats recorded it. It's well documented that countless black
artists--singers, dancers, actors, composers--went along with the
stereotypes of their era, sometimes unaware, sometimes for economic
reasons, sometimes "signifyin' " satirically even as they went through
the motions. But that doesn't mean that the shufflin', eye-rollin',
yassah gestures and racially demeaning language and themes should be
acceptable today.

Charlie Suhor