[Dixielandjazz] Re: Darktown Strutters Ball

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Tue Mar 15 15:55:20 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:23:13 -0600, LARRY'S Signs and Large Format
Printing wrote:

>Some people are quick to take offense at anything.  I don't know who wrote
>Darktown but I really don't think that it was offensive at the time or even
>the color of the composer.  The point being that I hear some Blacks call
>each other names that would get me killed.  Many of them seem to feel that
>they "own" the words kind of like a copyright.  Remember that at one time
>the N word was politically correct and that we are on a journey to accept
>each other and there are bumps in the road.  Most of us really don't want to
>offend anyone no matter what their religion or color.  Having said all that
>I'm really against changing history or glossing over what has happened.
>That includes the names of tunes.  Please note that Arnold Schwartzenegger
>wouldn't change his name.  In German it's really offensive.

I must be reading in the wrong places.

" And with the origin of Arnold's Surname, it is not so very different.
His ancestors must have been farming; the earth where they were farming
must have been rather black. And one of his ancestor's duties must have
been to harrow the fields. And so his name became Schwarzenegger.
'Schwarz' meaning black, and 'egge' meaning harrow, together 'the person
who harrows black fields'."
http://www.siamweb.org/content/News-Culture/146/index_eng.php

I've seen statements on the Web, which I haven't tried to trace or
verify, that Ahnold himself acknowledged this derivation on one of the
late night talk shows a while back.

Thanks for these words, Charlie.

It all puts me in mind of "Why Don't You Do Right Like Some Other Men
Do?".  The only problem is figuring out what IS right.
--
Don
donkirk at covad.net