[Dixielandjazz] Re: Darktown Strutters Ball

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Mar 15 11:23:13 PST 2005

Some people are quick to take offense at anything.  I don't know who wrote
Darktown but I really don't think that it was offensive at the time or even
the color of the composer.  The point being that I hear some Blacks call
each other names that would get me killed.  Many of them seem to feel that
they "own" the words kind of like a copyright.  Remember that at one time
the N word was politically correct and that we are on a journey to accept
each other and there are bumps in the road.  Most of us really don't want to
offend anyone no matter what their religion or color.  Having said all that
I'm really against changing history or glossing over what has happened.
That includes the names of tunes.  Please note that Arnold Schwartzenegger
wouldn't change his name.  In German it's really offensive.

Maybe we should have a renaming contest.  Let's see it could be "The night
the lights went out in my part of town dance".  Somehow it doesn't have the
same ring.