[Dixielandjazz] Violin in OKOM

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Mar 12 10:38:09 PST 2005

David aka Sheik makes a good point. There are many lineup variations
possible in OKOM--like the violin lead or doubling with brass as Sheik
describes, like Bechet often playing the melody while others jammed
behind him, like the early bands that played all ensemble, "switching"
the lead to other instruments after the first-chorus trumpet lead, etc.
But it does seem  that the most enduring ensemble division-of-labor,
the one that seems to satisfy a listener's readiness for clear and
uncluttered interplay of musical imagination, the one that shook out
after others had been tried over the years, is the
trumpet-trombone-clarinet lineup.

Are humans in some way hard-wired for reception of this kind of
well-balanced musical interplay? It's what Bach and other Baroque
composers for ensemble, organ, and choral music achieved in their
fugues, which I came to love, I think, because of my early love of N.O
and Dixieland jazz ensembles.

Charlie Suhor