[Dixielandjazz] Violin in OKOM

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Mar 11 17:07:07 PST 2005

At 11:18 AM 03/12/05 +1100, D and R Hardie wrote:
>It adds a higher
>register melody line as the violinist can be up above the cornet.

When I had my 10-piece 20s band, one thing I noticed was that after hearing
several tunes, they all started sounding alike, rather like a brass band
because of the 2 cornets, t-bone, and tuba 2-beat rhythm. I had a chance to
listen closely to another band playing some of the same charts using a
violin, which often plays melody along with the brass. The violin nicely
softened/lightened the brass band sound. Unfortunately the leader left the
violin in all the time, even on jazzy tunes which should have been brassy,
so everything sounded alike, but this time after a while it became
irritatingly screechy...

--Sheik