[Dixielandjazz] Violin in OKOM

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Mar 11 16:46:11 PST 2005

On Mar 11, 2005, at 6:18 PM, D and R Hardie wrote:

> My own feeling is that there is a role for the violin in later jazz,
> but Steve will no doubt comment on that.
> regards
>  Dan Hardie
>  Check out the Early Jazz website:
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html

Dan's comments, as always, are instructive and provocative. Re the
above, beyond violins in swing and modern jazz settings, several years
ago I heard on PBS some remarkable fusion jazz violin work by a French
violinist in a group led by guitarist Al Demiola. Fusion isn't usually
my cup but this was remarkable stuff. Incredibly, in a world where many
critics adore innovation for its own sake, Demiola isn't listed in the
Grove Encycl. of Jazz and is absent from many other reference sources.

Charlie Suhor