[Dixielandjazz] The Phat Band - School Gigs & Young Fans

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 16:58:52 PST 2005

I've seen the NY Times article posted yesterday, which I titled "THE TRUTH
ABOUT YOUTH" (NY TIMES By MIREYA NAVARRO 'Phat': Big Band With Young Fans)
on 3 other jazz chat lists that I monitor. These are mostly made up of jazz
musicians and band leaders, different genres.

They are all exhorting their members to pursue the schools along the lines
that Phat, Ferguson and to a lesser extent, Barbone Street do.

Now, I don't know about all the bands and band leaders on this list, but I
have already sent promo material to 41 School Districts in my area,
yesterday and today. I include a copy of the article and several other
marketing pieces, yes one about young Jonathan and a few other kids that we
work with. There are another 95 or so School Districts in our territory that
I still need to mail.

I urge others (if you are really serious about helping kids love this music)
to go out and do likewise.

Sure beats living in a hollow log and drinking muddy water.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone