[Dixielandjazz] Yoshio Toyama - Astute observation follow-up

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 19:03:15 PST 2005

Yoshio Toyama is the leader of the "Saints" and has an excellent okom band
in Tokyo.  They've been performing at the LA Classic/Sweet n Hot festival
annually for many years.  For years, the band sounded like an exact clone of
Louis Armstrong's All Star groups (to the point that solos were copied note
for note - not a good thing.)  In more recent years, the band seems to be
developing its own personality but still is extremely heavily influenced by
the Armstrong sound.  I wasn't at all aware of Yoshio's contribution to the
poor kids of New Orleans, but I'm not at all surprised.  In the many times
we've met over the years, he's clearly indicated his love and respect for
our music.  (He hosted Chet Jager at his house while Bloomers were playing
in Japan.  Chet has some great stories.)

Perhaps it's in Mr. Toyama's mind that he may be planting seeds in N.O. for
another Louis.   I hope he succeeds.

Dick Broadie