[Dixielandjazz] Banjos & Bagpipes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 18:45:40 PST 2005

Rich Shrika <richard88jazz at att.net> wrote:

> Gents:
>
> Just my two cents worth on the subject:
>
> Only one problem with banjo and bagpipe players - they NEVER stop playing on
> the job.  It's like they wait for the gig to start their praticing and then
> never stop!  Ever try figuring out the chords with that BAGPIPE bleating all
> the time?  Or figuring out the next tune you want to play with that BANJO
> plunking your ear?  Given a choice, though, I'd have to pick the banjo over
> the bagpipes - at least you get an occasional right chord!
>
> Here's to pianos.

I'm with Bill Gunter on this. Why not have both banjos and bagpipes? I
played in a band that did this. (ONCE)

Southampton Dixie Racing & Clambake Society Jazz Band. Circa late 1950s.
We had a fan who loved bagpipes and he set up a session with two bagpipers
plus the regular band. Pianist Ted Prochazka couldn't make it and so we
subbed for him. We even cut a record, though I don't know what happened to
it. The band, to the best of my recollection was. (could be a few errors due
to old age and lots of gigs with SDRCS and different band mates)

Cornet      Bill Barnes
Trombone    Andy (Skip) Strong
Clarinet    Steve Barbone
Banjo       Connie Worden
Tuba        Barbara Dreiwitz
Drums       Stan Levine
Piano       Walter Bishop Jr. (Who played & recorded with Charlie Parker)
Bagpipes    2 guys in kilts whose names I have forgotten.

Given the Bop pianist with banjo/tuba/bagpipes, in a very trad New Orleans
Band, it was a rather interesting session.  I remember The Saints with
everybody, and The Chant, with the bagpipes sitting out.

Walter Bishop Jr., was quite well versed in New Orleans piano given his
extensive playing time bopping with Bird, in the early 1950s. I was
fortunate to play a few gigs with Jr.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone