[Dixielandjazz] Banjos redux ad nauseum

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Mar 6 20:15:53 PST 2005

All this banjo stuff has got me cross-eyed. But if you are going to talk
banjos then let's add a couple absolutely top players to this list.
Luther "Red" Roundtree and Dick "Ickie" Morgan were both tops, and both
with Spike Jones at his best.
Perry Botkin, better knonw for his work with Crosby -- Bing, that is --
was a demon on it and was,with Scraggs, the original banjos for the
Beverly Hillbillies TV show.
I heard George Van Epps play banjo and he was another player to admire
-- even considering his even more marvelous guitar work.
I worked with Manny  Sayles at Jazz Ltd. in Chicago in the '60' before
he went back to N.O. and his ensemble work was time wise very strong,
though his solo work limited.  Eddie Davis was the top go to guy in
Chicago at that time before he left for the big apple.
Nappy LaMare played it well. Charlie Marshall of Wisconsin played banjo
with marvelous timing, and played tenor guitar that was as steady on
time as any I've worked with. (Sadly he lost and arm in a farm machinery
accident.)
Jack Mielhen(sp?) , Dave Miller, Re Murphy, Doc Schliessman, and several
others who escape my faltering memory as I write have been fun to work with.
But in spite of all of this, I'd trade them all for one night with
George Van Epps on his seven string guitar. Wouldn't need a drummer,
bass, or piano either.
Don Ingle