[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Mazzy

John Mumford john at jazzbanjo.com
Sun Mar 6 12:17:07 PST 2005

Norm,

You are correct in saying that there is only one Jimmy Mazzy but there is
also only one Brad Roth, Steve DiBonaventura and Patrick Dinneen. These are
three younger player that all play great jazz lines in their solo's. I
almost forgot another young player, Tyler Jackson at age 18 is an up and
coming star. I had the opportunity to interview Jimmy, a few years ago, for
an article in Jazz Banjo Magazine and asked him about his solo techniques.
He told me that he never liked the tremolo that much so he patterned his
style after piano players. They use a lot of fill notes in their playing and
that's how Jimmy developed his style. Another older banjo player, from New
Orleans known for this technique is "Father" Al Lewis. His moniker came from
the similarities noted in his banjo style that were similar to Earl "Fatha"
Hines.

What makes the four above different is that they all have studied or studied
with jazz guitar players.

This style seems to have been lost to a whole generation of banjo players
that grew up listening to Eddie Peabody. Just about all new banjo players
want to learn chord melody. I also wouldn't say that chord melody is easier
than playing hot lick single string solos either. If the banjo survives
another generation it will be players like the four I listed above that will
keep the banjo alivet. There is a lot more that could be said on this topic.
Why people think the banjo should only be a rhythm instrument bewilders me.
Listen to player's like Ikey Robinson with Jabbo Smith in Jazz Battle or Lee
Blair with Wilbur DeParis.

Enough Said.  If you want to learn more about these different banjo players
go to http://www.jazzbanjo.com/

John Mumford