[Dixielandjazz] What is a banjo? - Grown Men Weeping

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:18:47 PST 2005

Listmates -

Apparently some of you think I was being facetious in my observation that a
composition for banjo and bagpipe may be a worthy enterprise. I may have
been lighthearted about it but in no way do I think that such a duet would
lack artistic merit in the hands of competent musicians.

We seem to be unable to discuss banjos and washboards and kazoos and
bagpipes and accordians and gut bucket basses and the like without the
snigger and general understanding that these are somehow "inferior" and/or
"unworthy" instruments.

Go now and perform some penance for harboring such shoddy and unreasonable
attitudes. And to have the gall to broadcast such ignorance to those about
you should require more than simple penance . . . I would think a good
lashing or perhaps a day spent in being exhibited in the stocks would be
more in order for such slanderous and ill-considered blatherings.

A pox upon your houses!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "The jug may be an exception" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com