[Dixielandjazz] Re: You think OKOM has a problem?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 4 01:03:16 PST 2005

> Queen Doesn't Recognize Famous Guitarists
LONDON (AP) -- Queen Elizabeth II met four of Britain's most famous
guitarists Tuesday, asking them: "And what do you do?".<

Hey, hey, hey there Tom baby,
You young blokes can be so arrogant about the music of your youth.
And how dare you criticise Australia's Head of State!
As an older person (born on 21 April 1926) she most certainly wouldn't know,
or give a toss, about the rock music of the 1970s. Although a little younger
than Her Majesty, I (20 April 1931) too have never heard of Brian May, Jimmy
Page or Jeff Beck. Nor need or want to.
OK. The name Eric Clapton rings a bell and I have heard OF Queen and Led
Zeppelin but can confidently say that I have never knowingly HEARD them.
But then, as most on the DJML already know, so far as 1920s-30s jazz and
blues are concerned, I am one-eyed - and have a patch over the other. Or so
they say here in Oz.
When 'our' Queen was just a 25 year-old Princess she was guest of honour at
the 14 July 1951 National Federation of Jazz Organizations' Traditional Jazz
Concert at the newly opened Royal Festival Hall in London where, before the
concert, she met the featured band leaders Humphrey Lyttelton, Joe Daniels,
Mick Mulligan, Allan Radcliffe (The Saints Jazz Band), Freddy Randall, Ken
Colyer (Crane River Jazz Band) and Australia's Graeme Bell (an old mate of
mine). HRH stayed much longer than scheduled and at interval mixed and
chatted with some of the musicians at a private function in the foyer. She
even asked Graeme's brother Roger if there were any difficulties in playing
washboard (which he featured on the concert as well as playing cornet with
the Bell band).
My kinda princess.
As for the Queen asking the aging rockers: "And what do you do?".
What a great put-down line!
8>)
Kind regards ole mate,
Bill.