[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in California--why?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:39:47 PST 2005

Jerry Gordon added:

      "But watch out for forest fires, mud slides and especially
earthquakes"

Jerry left out transvestites, Marin County hot tub events, terminators,
shark attacks, urban sprawl, smog, overpopulation, UCB, San Francisco
alternate lifestyles, Big Sur Hippies, and Disneyland (just to mention a few
local aberrations) - California is a place where your wildest fantasies are
just waiting for you.  Come out and join a jazz band (or a nudist colony . .
. there's something for everyone).

The American Rag carries a list (Igor's Map of Traditional Jazz Festivals)
which is informative:

California lists 16 jazz festivals this year.

The West Coast (including Washington, Oregon and British Columbia) totals 30

Add in Idaho, Montana, Nevada and Arizona (all way out west) and you now
total 36

Still pretty much out west (Colorado) and the total goes to 38.

The rest of the country all put together offers 24 festivals.

That means that out west, 8 states plus one Canadian Province offiers 38
annual festivals and the remaining 42 states can only pungle up 24.

Running the numbers and the west offers an average of almost 5 annual
festivals per state while the rest of the 51 states offers only a half a
festival per state.

Of course there are ameliorating circumstances . . . the 8 Western States
are damn near half the geographical area of the whole country.

I suppose one can make the case that jazz exists primarily in the far west
and the far east. The middle west is pretty much in the "polka" belt.

What do you suppose the results would be if we were looking at the number of
festivals featuring accordians.  Then, of course, in the southeast we're
looking at bluegrass festivals (5 string banjos and mandolins).

Then there is a lot of intermingling . . . Buck Creek plays in Sacramento
and the Boondockers play in Florida . . .

In retrospect, I don't think a convincing case can be made for any one
section of the country producing a lopsided majority of OKOM as opposed to
the rest of the country.

It's a wonderful world, full of strange and amazing things,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com