[Dixielandjazz] Re: Military bands and OKOM

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Jun 30 08:32:02 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Schafer's book is referenced in "The Music Men - An Illustrated History
of Brass Bands in America" by Margaret & Robert Hazen, published by the
Smithsonian Institution 1987.
> American brass bands played a pivotal role in the development of jazz.
> According to one researcher, [Schafer] the brass bands of New Orleans
> gave jazz its instrumentation, and also lent musical techniques and
> repertoire to this uniquely American musical idiom. As a 1917
> advertising poster succinctly put it, a jazz band was simply a "brass
> band gone crazy"

This book also mentions the formation of military jazz bands (usually
sub-sets of larger marching/concert bands) in the 1920s to satisfy
public demand for jazzier, danceable music. Lots of great pictures,
too!

Dave Richoux