[Dixielandjazz] Re: Military bands and OKOM

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 29 20:42:59 PDT 2005

> Bill's bibliography omitted "Brass Bands and New Orleans Jazz " by William
> Schafer.

Dear Glen,
The reason I did not mention that book is because I had forgotten all about
it! It was on the top shelf of my bookcase, but that's no excuse.
8>)
Thank you for the reminder.
And, in my haste, I missed the references to it in both the Dan Hardie and
Richard Knowles books.
Chapter 1 of "Brass Bands........", 'What The Bands Played' is a much more
comprehensive summary of the early brass band in New Orleans than that
contained in "Fallen Heroes".
However, only a few of the 28 pages of text in this chapter cover the
history and influence of 'military' bands.
Kind regards,
Bill.