[Dixielandjazz] Beneke & Klink sax solo - In The Mood

Henry Mason hcmsjo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 22:22:36 PDT 2005

Hi Steve and Listmates,

>From discussions I have had with bandleaders, the "same solo" bit
happened mostly during the "Pain in the ASCAP" years.   When the bands
had to go do new tunes on the air during the recording ban,  soloists
were forever trying to sneak in a quote from ASCAP tunes, either
accidentally or on purpose..    Bandleaders in order to protect
themselves from legal trouble simply ordered the soloists to play the
same solo every time.  This may have had something to do with why
Hackett's solo on "String of Pearls" became so much a part of the
piece.

I am sure it drove the affected soloists insane.

Henry