[Dixielandjazz] Beneke & Klink sax solo - In The Mood

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 24 13:05:50 PDT 2005

"Hal Vickery" <hvickery at svs.com> wrote (polite snip)
about the recorded solo by Klink & Beneke

> I've heard them played on air checks, etc. and the solos are altogether
> different.  This would indicate that they are improvised.

I don't doubt that subsequent, or even prior "Mood" solos were improvised at
least in part. I was referring to the solo on the record only.

IMO, Klink and Beneke would have to be the world's biggest squares to keep
repeating that same solo over and over again at each performance. ;-) VBG.

Same thing with all those "High Society" clarinet solos. They varied, even
when following the same general format.

Same for the trumpet solo in Basie's performances of "April in Paris".

Cheers,
Steve