[Dixielandjazz] Donating Instruments

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 24 12:58:16 PDT 2005

Very strange thread.

Donating musical instruments to Schools sucks, but donating to Churches is
OK. Huh? Did I miss something?

Seems to me that that are millions of kids in the USA living below the
poverty level that cannot afford a healthy diet, much less instruments. No
doubt some live in Sacramento and harvest the food we eat.

Does it shock us to realize that there are parents out there who plain
cannot afford what we take for granted? What? Are there no jails or
workhouses? Yeah, perhaps we should get a minimum wage job and see how far
that $5 or so per hour goes.

Some of the working poor's kids go to Schools, some go to Churches, some go
to both and who knows, some may not go to either.

Pay for them out of the school budget? Well, OK, but that money is our tax
money and if the schools bought instruments, we taxpayers just "donated"
whether we like it or not.

And Churches could easily buy instruments from their collections.

So why on earth is it wrong to donate instruments to Schools and right to
donate them to Churches?

Darned if I can figure that out because it seems to me that donations are
just one way of eliminating the middle man.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone