[Dixielandjazz] Bob Ringwald, where you?

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 15:29:59 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/24/2005 4:45:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
gpage at dccnet.com writes:

Some of  the highly charged comments on recent topics are likely to result in
strong  responses. I am maintaining silence with a great deal of difficulty
but if  there is no caution from the site as to where we go with this I will
be  responding to the posters with my unqualified opinions. Please save us
from  from a nasty war of words in these matters.

Cheers, Glen  Page.

Sure we talk about something as important as getting musical instruments
into kids hands and music programs in schools and people got to run to Mommy . .
. "Bob, please . . . save us..."

Give me a break and get a back bone.

I, and others endure topics about washboards, kazoos, how do you pronounce
someone's name, bordellos, buying drinks for the band . . . threads about "What
 A Wonderful World" . . . was Guy Lombardo really a jazz band, along with a
thousand really stupid jokes that have nothing whatsoever to do with music . .
.  and that's all ok.

But I come along and voice an opinion about where musical instruments for
kids might do the most good and be the most appreciated . . . along with
thoughts about school music programs or the lack thereof and the causes . . .  no,
no, no . . . we can't have that thought passing your fingers.

Man, I thought I was still in America and you had your opinions and I had
mine and we both had a right to voice them. And I thought this list was about
jazz and traditional jazz and dixieland jazz . . . and about promoting and
continuing the art.

Just how do you expect to do that without passing it on to the kids? Not  all
kids learn their music in government schools. Not all kids learn music in
schools period. MANY of your top jazz artists as well as those up & coming
learn music in privately (and mostly underfunded) schools . . . and a TON of  them
grew up playing and singing gospel in the churches.

There is nothing off-topic about my comments . . . in fact, it may be more
central to the point and deeper than 95% of all the threads that have been
posted over the past year. Maybe it simply went over some folks heads.

You want people to buy OKOM? Sports programs in schools are not going to
foster that appreciation . . . nor are kids who know nothing about playing
instruments other than computers or keyboards going to buy it. And just  performing
for them is only one part of the equation.

So have some courtesy, allow me my say . . . and grow up. You don't need to
go running to Mommy Bob every time you read something you don't agree with
here.  I don't and I read it all the time. I have also learned to use the delete
button  when I happen upon a thread I have no interest in. You ought to try it.

Bill