[Dixielandjazz] Tuba in Lafayette

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Jun 21 08:00:28 PDT 2005

Hi Y'all,

For those interested, Sac à Pulses' summer tour has been finalized.
Here's what we got :

July 30 -- Lafayette, LA
Robert Guercio of the 307 Jazz Club (more info
<http://www.theind.com/news3.asp?CID=-1948283406>) is organizing a
'French Night.'  In addition to the regular jazz community, he is doing
a publicity push to the franco-tongues.  The french owned local wine
shop and a french restaurant will organize a cocktail (more info
<http://entertaining.about.com/cs/horsdoeuvres/a/cocktailparty.htm>) --
with cheese from Auvergne (more info
<http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/souptonuts/cheese_france.html>) --
before the concert.  Should be lots o' fun.  We show up on the 29th
around 9pm.

[Are there any tuba/sousaphone players in the area that could lend me a
horn?  It would really help me out.]

July 31 -- Norman, OK
It will be great playing in the jazz capital of the ...  oh, no, ... in
a sister city of Clermont-Ferrand.  We will be part of the Summer Breeze
Concert Series (more info
<http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/government/PressRelease.cfm?recordID=949>).
I see they have Brave Combo (more info <http://www.brave.com/>) on the
program (more info
<http://www.okcoutdoornetwork.org/summer_breeze.htm>).  I interviewed
them on KCRW back in the 80s.  The concerts are on an open stage in a
city park.  They have had audiences up to 1500.

August 2 -- Phoenix, AZ
Our man in the sun Joe Hopkins and the Arizona Classic Jazz Society
(more info <http://www.azclassicjazz.org>) are putting this together.
To be honest, I don't know too much about the event.  We're all going to
have a great time if there are 5 or 500.  We fly in mid-afternoon on the
1st.  I have a UCLA buddy living their who is the best BBQ man on the
planet.  Hey, I'm no slouch myself, but this guy can make a BBQ dance
(to be anounced
<http://www.pmhouseofdance.com/goldcoastdanceclub.htm>).  Anyway,
details to follow (about the concert, not the BBQ).

August 4-7 -- Orange County Classic Jazz Festival (more info
<http://www.oc-classicjazz.org>)
Need I say more.  We close the Thursday night four-band kick-off bash.
Either, they are saving the best for last or they don't think that many
will stick around that late.  Then, we got our normal sets (more info
<http://www.oc-classicjazz.org/schedule.html>) over the weekend.  Of
note are our 'Special Events' sets.  First, we do a 'two bands on one
stage' set with Paris Washboard (more info
<http://www.oc-classicjazz.org/specialevents.html#twobands1>) on Fri.
Aug. 5 at 15h45.  Eight French musicians and not one trumpet/cornet.
Then, we do our 'Sidney Bechet : the Composer' set (more info
<http://www.oc-classicjazz.org/specialevents.html#tribute2bechet>) on
Sat. Aug. 6 at 13h15.  Here, we play from a long list of Bechet's
compositions highlighting changes of style and structure throughout his
career.

I hope you all come down and see us.  Write me if you need more info
<mailto:more.info at sacapulses.com>.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com