[Dixielandjazz] Re: Was Bach really Bach?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Jun 19 18:56:40 PDT 2005

Bach was of course a master of improv which were called  Inventions.  Using
figured bass left the player the freedom to "compose" the other several
parts within the piece.  The question is did Bach sound like Bach.  Today we
assume, because of all the harmonic rules that were in force at the time
that nothing else could have been done.  We do know from musical history
that when innovators came along there were sometimes riots.  I don't think
we will really ever now if Bach sounded like we suppose Bach sounded like.

I have often compared Dixieland as being a modern from most like Mozart.  I
say that because Mozart used intricate intertwining contrapuntal lines
exactly in the same way that the clarinet plays against the cornet line and
the Trombone is doing something entirely different.  I think that if there
is a modern form that Mozart would like the most it would be Dixieland.

Yes I think if these guys lived today they would be composing music in
contemporary modes but they wouldn't be like the composers we know, they
would be like Elton John or Leonard Bernstein.

So far as Bach's 23 kids.  That was a sanctioned activity in his day.
Obviously he swung in the bedroom but I don't think the church would have
allowed him to deviate on the keyboard.  I say that because I teach music at
a Lutheran school.  I hope I don't offend anyone but their music is the
antithesis of swing.  Extrapolating back I think he (Bach)was pretty
straight at least in public.

Without modern birth control, many of us on this list would also have 23
kids too.

Larry Walton
St. Louis