[Dixielandjazz] Was Bach really Bach?

Janie McCue Lynch janie51 at socal.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 22:45:36 PDT 2005

HI, Larry....

Interesting and thoughtful response and comments, and I suppose we could go
back and forth indefinitely but I don't want to bore the heck out of the
rest of the folks who may not have an interest in this line of thought.

Why do you specify that Bach would be like Elton John or Bernstein rather
than any number of other composers?  I see him as being brilliant, and
all-encompassing "within" the regimentation of the times.  Not revolutionary
THEN, it is true...but he was never wealthy and had to "earn a living."
And as you say, the church was very powerful and wielded great influence.

If he had been born in the late 19th or early 20th century, my bet is that
he would have been a master at Ragtime and moved on into Dixieland.

But, as you say, we will never know!

Best Regards,

Janie Lynch

Bach was of course a master of improv which were called Inventions. Using
figured bass left the player the freedom to "compose" the other several
parts within the piece. The question is did Bach sound like Bach. Today we
assume, because of all the harmonic rules that were in force at the time
that nothing else could have been done. We do know from musical history

that when innovators came along there were sometimes riots. I don't think we
will really ever now if Bach sounded like we suppose Bach sounded like.

I have often compared Dixieland as being a modern from most like Mozart. I
say that because Mozart used intricate intertwining contrapuntal lines
exactly in the same way that the clarinet plays against the cornet line and
the Trombone is doing something entirely different. I think that if there is
a modern form that Mozart would like the most it would be Dixieland.

Yes I think if these guys lived today they would be composing music in
contemporary modes but they wouldn't be like the composers we know, they
would be like Elton John or Leonard Bernstein.

So far as Bach's 23 kids. That was a sanctioned activity in his day.
Obviously he swung in the  bedroom but I don't think the church would have
allowed him to deviate on the keyboard. I say that because I teach music at
a Lutheran school. I hope I don't offend anyone but their music is the
antithesis of swing. Extrapolating back I think he (Bach)was pretty straight
at least in public.

Without modern birth control, many of us on this list would also have 23
kids too.

Larry Walton

St. Louis