[Dixielandjazz] Swing those songs was NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?

Janie McCue Lynch janie51 at socal.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 14:59:37 PDT 2005

>From Larry:

"Speaking of the masters. I do think they would like the different
interpretations of their work. To be copied is a form of flattery. The only
two that I think that might not like changes were Bach and Beethoven. Bach
because he came from a very straight laced society and Beethoven because he
was generally mad at everything and I really don't think he liked his life
outside of music much. Mozart on the other hand was I think a lot like Elton
John and would have gotten a kick out of it and then suggested changes to
make it better."

I agree with you about Beethoven and Mozart, Larry, but disagree regarding
Bach.  Bach did, indeed, live in an externally circumscribed time, but
remember that he had three wives, with whom he sired twenty six children!

I read a recent article in Piano Today magazine regarding Bach's Three-Part
Inventions, in which the author quotes theorist FW Marpurg (1760) in
discussing Bach's passion for "keeping the materials and their relationships
constantly fascinating" when composing so much fugal or canonic music.
Marpurg notes that "Bach pronounced the works of a fine old contrapuntist
dry and wooden, because that composer stuck continuously, without any change
 to his principal subject; and certain fugues by a more modern contrapuntist
pedantic, because he had not shown enough fire in the episodes to reanimate
the theme."

I think if JSB could inject such passion into works that were regimented by
the era and also by the necessity of his earning a living by pleasing those
of that era, that if he were around now he would compose some wonderful jazz
and it would definitely swing!  That being impossible, my bet is that he
would love to hear other takes on his works.

Thank you, Larry, for your always interesting posts!

Jane Lynch
janie51 at socal.rr.com