[Dixielandjazz] Re: NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 17 18:47:26 PDT 2005

Steve and DJML--
     As usual, Steve is "spot on" (as they say in the UK; curious
locution, what?).  I've been wanting to dixiefy Billy Joel for years,
and i think a number of his songs might lend themselves to such a
treatment.  What better way to connect with people of a certain
(ahem) age than Billy Joel, who could actually write a melody with
harmony and rhythm?
     Other fairly recent artists whose songs i've been meaning to
dixiefy include Leon Russell ("Dixie Lullaby"), the Supremes ("The
Happening"), and Maria Muldaur ("Any Old Time"). It has been a
fevered desire of mine for years (well, that might be overstating the
case a bit) to dixiefy "Piano Man", even though this is a waltz.  (I
never have understood why you can't do dixieland-waltzes.)
     Or (but admittedly this would take a bit of work on your part,
something devoutly to be unwished by many), go look at the so-called
"Top 10" list of songs for the past 30 years (in rock, country, and
folk, and other styles) and see how many of them might be dixiefied.
My guess is that the ones that actually have a rememberable melody
and/or non-standard harmonies, or just a good beat, might work.  (Has
anyone done "Satisfaction" by the Stones?)
     Seems to me that the dixieland-principle includes as a main tenet
that this kind of music is a _style_, not a set and forevermore
rigidly prescribed list of old songs that nobody remembers except
your dead grandfather.  Turk said that he liked to play one song the
audience knew, then one song the band knew, just to keep things
interesting for both sides.  Works for me.

     Dan