[Dixielandjazz] The Chicken Song and Guy Lombardo

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Jun 17 14:22:36 PDT 2005

SNIP: who you could understand what they were saying in song.

This is what I've been saying all along. Solos and improvs that go nowhere
and say nothing and are generally exercises and aren't fun.  One of the most
famous solos for trumpet is Carnival of Venice and variations.  The
variations start off fairly benign but get progressively more difficult but
you always know where the variation is going and you can hum the tune along
with the variation.  They don't take you into la la land and leave you.
Artists can still express themselves without going to the moon.

Jazz has gotten so far out that you want to run, not walk to the nearest
exit when some guys cut loose.  I think that's why C&W, Blues and early Jazz
retain their appeal.  C&W and Blues because they aren't complicated and
early jazz because you can usually tell where the artist is going and what
he's doing.  Some people like Picasso but a lot more don't.

Larry Walton
St. Louis