[Dixielandjazz] Mike Vax's take on OKOM

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 11:39:48 PDT 2005

Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote: A Great Post, snipped for brevity

> Just my "take" on OKOM........................

YEAH, and a good one it is Mike. Like Hooks and me, you know what "sissified
jazz" is and do NOT play it. In fact you probably know, better than me.

Mike, along with a few others is bringing the music to the NEW AUDIENCE. We
should all be so "lucky".

Here in the Philadelphia area, we now have 5 DIFFERENT Dixieland Bands that
are playing where the people are. In Township Concerts, 4th of July
fireworks displays, Restaurants, Weddings etc., etc. Some like mine are
"professionals" (those that make a living in music) and two of the new ones
are amateurs. (Not talking about expertise  here, but just whether of not
they make their living in music). All are now very visible and prospering.
None give the music away.

Wasn't that way a few short years ago. Wonder what started the trend? Like I
keep repeating, make OKOM worthwhile monetarily, and the musicians will come
to the music. Much better pathway than just teaching musicians how to play
OKOM. You need the audience and the money to sustain the music and get back
to the level of play 50-60 years ago.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone