[Dixielandjazz] obscure tunes

Snogpitch snogpitch at prodigy.net
Mon Jun 13 20:55:46 PDT 2005

Last weekend I saw West End Jazz Band.  Here is what their own website (
http://www.westendjazzband.com/ ) says about themselves:

Our specialty is playing the music of the 1920s and 1930s in a hot dance
style.  Hot Dance can be described as playing songs of the day in written
arrangements with small solo spots for the various instruments.  The melody
gets passed among the instruments as part of the arrangement.  We also play
a number of straight dance tunes that reflect the ³sweet² style of the
music, as well as some of the rare and obscure jazz tunes from the 1920¹s.

I enjoyed it, but then again, I like 20's music, and some of the tunes I had
heard before.  They had several CD's for the audience to purchase, and it
was like a shark feeding frenzy during the break.  It was definitely not
what I would call Dixieland, but it was good in it's own way.

--
Snogpitch

snogpitch at prodigy.net
ICQ: 4989342