[Dixielandjazz] Secrets of Good Sound Revealed

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 14:26:39 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/10/2005 1:48:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk writes:

Most  bands over here play too loud. I
play a little gig in a low ceilinged   venue, with a 3 piece front line, all
blowing into microphones, turned up  to the point of distortion.

The problem is not with amplifiers but rather how they are (mis)used.   Your
above statement illustrates the problem exactly.  The problem is not  the use
of the microphones, but how they are used.  I have a  trio that plays in
venues as small as living rooms and as large as parks.   We use a PA system in all
venues, and have never overplayed, over-modulated or  distorted.  And, here is
the kicker...I play trumpet and use a mic for  such.

So, to all list mates, I suggest proper microphone technique...as opposed  to
no amplification.

Lewis D.  Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC, CASL