[Dixielandjazz] Secrets of Good Sound Revealed

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Fri Jun 10 15:01:54 PDT 2005

My two eurocents:

I always use a sound system, even in small venues.
In stead of making the music louder it can make it softer.
The secret: use monitors in which you put the complete
balanced mix of the band, so that everyone can hear how
loud or soft he is playing in the mix. When you can hear
yourself and the others, you tend not to overblow and automatically play
softer.
When there are no monitors: turning the speakers into the direction
of the band wil do the trick. I've heard a lot of bands playing
louder without amplification.
On the other hand there is nothing wrong with loud music if there
are also soft numbers played. It's all a question of dynamics.
Even the old acoustically playing New Orleans bands use those
dynamics. Just think about the sitting band standing up for the last
chorus (speaking about tradition...) man....that last chorus can be loud!
And I like it, because it serves a goal.....and it lasts only one
chorus......

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl