[Dixielandjazz] Secrets of Good Sound Revealed

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Jun 10 11:36:13 PDT 2005

 john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk wrote on Friday, June 10, 2005 10:45
AM:

 Will is talking complete sense.
> Many venues can do without amplifiers altogether!  It's absurd for a six
> piece band to use amplification in a room significantly under 1000
> square feet.
(snip)

I agree with both Will & John.

 At the Sacramento jazz jubilee a couple of years ago, I convinced the Exec
Director, Roger Krum, to have an all acoustic room.  On the questionnaire
that he sends out to all bands, he asked, "Would you like to play a sat in
the all acoustic room."  I could not believe the result.  Practically no
bands applied.  he got enough just to do a few sets one afternoon.

Immediately, the bands wanted to have a mike for "just the clarinet".  Then
it was "just for announcements & vocals."  Then it was "For the piano."
Guess what happened?

I can not tell you how many times I have seen a band start late because of
the P.A.  They would stand or sit up there on the stage while the amateur
sound people screwed with the P.A. equipment.  Either half the mikes would
not work, or they would have 5 minutes of feedback.  This while the audience
& musicians alike, sat & waited.  If they had turned off the PA completely,
the band would have sounded great.

What ever happened to playing quietly for the clarinet, piano or a singer?
What ever happened to people not talking in the audience so that they can
hear the announcements?

As one of our listmates, maybe it was Will Conley, once said, "Dynamics?
Hell, I am playing as loud as I can already!"

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA
Fulton Street Jazz Band
The Boondockers (Jazz and Comedy)