[Dixielandjazz] Secrets of Good Sound Revealed

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 10:45:27 PDT 2005

Will is talking complete sense.
> Many venues can do without amplifiers altogether!  It's absurd for a six
> piece band to use amplification in a room significantly under 1000
> square feet. Hire bass players and drummers  who are sensitive to the
> environment  they're working in and have the wit and sensitivity to
> adjust their acoustical outputs accordingly.

Find me some bass players, other than those I already know, who will play
without the dreaded amp, which they set up too loud at the beginning of the
gig and stop playing to turn it up at regular intervals throughout. Try
playing sensitively and dynamically when that racket is going on!

Start from the position that traditional jazz is an acoustic music, which if
played correctly will be dynamic and reactive. Amplifiers if used at all
should be there for sound enhancement. Most bands over here play too loud. I
play a little gig in a low ceilinged  venue, with a 3 piece front line, all
blowing into microphones, turned up to the point of distortion. The guitar
amp is by the side of my high hat, the bass amp on a chair next to my floor
tom. These amps are so loud that I can't hear the front line. The situation
improves 200 percent on a couple of numbers where the guitar switches to
banjo and the bass player picks up his tuba. This set up makes what could be
an exciting and enjoyable gig into a chore!
Bring back live acoustic jazz!

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com