[Dixielandjazz] RE: SOUND at SJJ

Bob Shoring bobshoring at california.com
Wed Jun 8 11:39:37 PDT 2005

Over the years I have generally found the sound systems worked best at
the hotel ballrooms and other indoor venues like Yolo Room, Golden Eagle
Room, etc.  I have generally avoided Cal Expo as I did not enjoy the
sound in those tents.  It often seemed too loud to enjoy.

This year I felt the sound systems were exceptionally good in the
Holiday Inn, Sheraton, Embassy Suites, and Yolo.  Also, the outdoor
Riverfront Refuge (even with Steam trains rolling by) and Firehouse
Courtyard had great sound I thought.  The one place I thought it was off
was Crocker park where the mike for one musician was cranked up so loud
I had to cover my ears when he played.  It was not the musician's fault,
just that the sound balance was way off.

Overall I'd give the sound engineers high marks.  In the past, the piano
and banjo were often not loud enough, but this year I'd say it was
pretty balanced in the venues I attended.

Regards,
Bob Shoring