[Dixielandjazz] Lurkers reacting

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Tue Jun 7 15:51:58 PDT 2005

Stirring up conversation ( a Dutch speciality) and

reacting to Bob's request to lurkers and frequent posters:

In the last three years of lurking DJML I found out that the

American members are somewhat conservative about "their music",

thinking that all is happening in the USA. Two years ago I boldly stated

that there are bands in Europe that, in terms of quality,could play circles

around most of the American bands. The reactions I got were not very

friendly..... So I thought: so be it, I'll refrain from reacting.

Every musician that visited e.g. The Netherlands would agree to my

statement, but those are the ones that broadened their horizons.

As soon as the Americans recognize that situation, there is ground for

exchange of ideas. E.g. come to the Netherlands to learn what OKOM

has evolved to, is a possibility.

Conclusion: OKOM is world music now, so the best bands are found

in the world, not only in the USA. Don't exclude "competition" on a

chauvinistic basis.

Cees van den Heuvel

http://www.revivaljassband.nl