[Dixielandjazz] NEW JAZZ?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 7 14:50:37 PDT 2005

Many of us know Randy Sanke's music. But maybe not this? Note that this band
includes those who play OKOM. Food for thought.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

HEAR THE FIRST NEW JAZZ STYLE OF THE 21st CENTURY
THE MYSTIC TRUMPETER A new CD on the Evening Star label by RANDY SANDKE and
the METATONAL BAND

Randy Sandke; trumpet and flugelhorn
Scott Robinson; saxes and bass flute
Wycliffe Gordon; trombone
Ted Rosenthal; piano
Greg Cohen; bass
Dennis Mackrel; drums and percussion

For more information visit:
www.randysandke.com/
www.lpb.com/eveningstar <http://www.lpb.com/eveningstar>

A Note for the Musicians in the House:

Surely I¹m not the only one who feels that jazz has been in a harmonic rut
for the past forty years. Personally I feel that we should all be fined
every time we end a tune with a major 7(+11).  Of course we can always write
whatever we want and play ³free² on it, or take it out over modal changes.
But we¹ve all been down these well-trodden paths countless times.

There¹s more to music than that. In fact there¹s a whole world of harmony
that¹s barely been integrated into the jazz vocabulary. For a fresh approach
to chords that lie slightly to the left of tonality, and that can¹t be
represented by conventional chord symbols, I suggest you check out my book,
Harmony for a New Millennium; an introduction to Metatonal Music, published
by Hal Leonard Music (www.halleonard.com <http://www.halleonard.com/> ). It
will also give you a new concept of how to relate melodies to chords. Ethan
Iverson, the pianist with the Bad Plus, called this book ³subversive.²  It¹s
also been endorsed by Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, and many others.

To hear these ideas in action listen to THE MYSTIC TRUMPETER. And remember,
those that say everything has been done before are only admitting to the
limits of their own imagination.

Randy Sandke