[Dixielandjazz] Miscellaneous Ramblings (Ringwald, Mason, Belmessieri et al.)

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 7 10:40:07 PDT 2005

Hey Bob:

Read in my West Chester Daily Local today that your daughter Molly is
considering a sequel to "Sixteen Candles". Said she liked the script and
just may do it. Good for her. I know she has been busy raising a young child
and out of the movies for a while, but I assure you/her this is one sequel I
would go see. I loved that movie and her performance in it.

Hey Henry:

Aw shucks. Break a leg with your Dixieland Band.

Hey Tom:

Right on, no need to raise up the clarinet. The reason many of us do it is
because of "show business" concerns and/or because working clarinetists
develop a painful callus on the edge of the thumb knuckle. Thus, holding it
down normally can hurt like hell. By tilting back the head and holding it
horizontally, it takes the pain away as the padded area of the thumb
supports the horn rather than the knuckle.

I regularly clip my callus. Does anyone out there have a better solution?

Right on about using a mike. Nothing wrong with it when the need arises. We
frequently gig in outdoor large area/large audience venues. Even Kenny
Davern would use a mike in that situation where the audience is 5000+ and
some of it over 200 yards away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone