[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver texts?

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Mon Jun 6 22:36:50 PDT 2005

An upcoming Riverwalk show at Stanford this July will be about King
Oliver. Our guest will be the great Duke Heitger.

Does anyone have any favorite texts about the life and contributions of
Oliver?

It seems to me that Oliver and Armstrong must be understood together, as
the beginning and ending of an historical development in jazz and in
cornet playing. Of course Oliver had his antecedents, but they weren't
recorded so we'll never know what they sounded like. And then there's
Bunk, but he was, well, bunk!

mopo

Don Mopsick, Riverwalk Webmaster